16 Nov Condo vs. House in Kelowna: Which is right for you?
The important decision of whether to invest in a condo or house in Kelowna seems to be the priority of both first-time home buyers, and experienced homeowners. Both forms of property come with a unique set of pros vs. cons, but ultimately the solution boils down to “Which home is best suited for you?”. As Kelowna’s mortgage specialists we can help you decide what is right for your budget and your lifestyle.
The Lifestyle Factor
Possibly the most important thing to consider (over cost and housing market) is your lifestyle. If you are about to invest in a property, you want to make sure it will work for you now and 5-10 years down the road.
Here are few questions to ask yourself when weighing out your housing options:
– Is convenience important to you? Do you mind handling the maintenance yourself?
– Are you okay with letting go of the ability to renovate, repaint, and update your home at your discretion?
– Do you currently have kids or are plans for a big family in your near future?
– Is optimal privacy important to you?
– Would you prefer shared maintenance fees or dealing with just your own?
By answering these questions, you will hopefully gain a clear perspective on whether a condo or home would be a better choice for your lifestyle. However, we realize we haven’t cleared up where your answers will fit into, which is why we are going to list out the pros and cons for both condos and houses.
House Pros vs. Cons
There are many benefits to having freehold ownership and investing in this type of property might just be the key to your dream home…
– You are the decision makers when it comes to renovations and upgrades; from painting to landscaping, you have all the say.
– Privacy. If you are not keen on sharing space, then a condo might not be for you.
– Great for families. If you have kids or are planning on expanding your family, then a house might provide the space you need (including outdoor space such as a yard).
– If you are the traveling type, a house requires you to find someone to look after your landscaping in the summer and shoveling in the winter.
– Repairs and maintenance come out of your pocket, and you are the ones who must take initiative on any issues.
– The upkeep of a house requires more time; you will not have the strata manager taking care of the nitty-gritty for you.
Condo Pros vs. Cons
Though a smaller home option, the condo can provide you certain things that a house cannot.
– Convenient for those with a busy lifestyle. If you do not have time for upkeep and repairs your strata fees take care of it for you.
– The facilities and the community are considered an added benefit to condominiums. You might find that your condo has a gym and pool at your disposal, and you’ll be surrounded by like-minded people who enjoy an on-the-go lifestyle.
– Perfect for the smaller family. You’ll find that you have all your necessities in one cozy home.
– Thinking of renovating and changing the look of your condo? Think again. You will have to check your strata to see what is allowed and what/how you can update.
– Little privacy. Depending on the building, you might be able to hear your neighbours conversation through the wall. Always check to see what upgrade and sound proofing your building has before purchasing.
– Condo’s are not perfect for the growing family. Because of limited space, you may not have the room you need to host large family gatherings or even entertain the idea of multiple guests staying with you.
As you can see, both options are reliant on what you prefer. However, if you are worried about costs of a house over condo we have a tip for you. If you’re in love with the idea of a house, but you are afraid you will not be able to afford it, consider investing in a house with a rental suite; the extra income will help supplement your budget.
At the end of the day, contacting your mortgage professional is also a great resource for deciding which property you should buy. They will be able to provide you with knowledge based on your finances and current market value, that hopefully will make the choice a lot easier. As Kelowna’s mortgage brokers we have access to lending options beyond what traditional banks can offer. If you are interested in finding out what a mortgage professional has to say, then contact us, today.
John Antle Mortgages – Kelowna’s Mortgage Specialist
We specialise in offering mortgage solutions that go ‘above and ‘beyond the bank’. This means we are able to provide flexible solutions at great rates, in fact our rates are often better than what traditional banks have to offer. The bank can be intimidating and even frustrating, while working with a mortgage broker opens up your options and allows you to find solutions for your unique situation. We work with a variety clients including first-time buyers, those looking to transition from renting to owning, self-employed business people, as well as investors in rental and/or vacation properties.